Monday, November 24, 2008

First days alone

It was my first weekend at work without a preceptor... aka.... Good luck not screwing up annie!! Looking back I did make one mistake. I was transporting this guy out to a medical progressive floor, but first I had to send him to get a V/Q scan. I dont' even really know what that is. Some sort of lung test that tells you if you some sort of ratio about blood flow and airflow. Thank god the patient didnt' ask me what his lung test entailed, because I really didnt' know. I could have made up a magical explanation. That would be funny. It's bad because at work of the first things I think of is, 'wouldn't it be funny if...' because really, i should be thinking, 'what is the correct explanation?' or, 'what should i do to help you?' But the guy was a jerk so I really wanted to just make something up. Like, well first, they use a huge machine to crack your chest open and pour all of this radioactive fluid all over it. Then a gremilin comes out and they put him in there for a while and he looks around and can tell, (because his eyes have x-ray vision,) if you have a PE. I usually am not this mean to people, but I really wanted to be. I mean, its' not my fault that he ate himself into a state of ginormous-osity, and then smoked a whole crapload, had a previous MI, got heart failure and kidney failure and now is an asshole. I would just ask simple questions like, would you like to sit up at the edge of the bed for breakfast?
'GOd DAmmit, I want to sit in the chair, how many times do I have to tell people? But I can't even get into the chair with all of these damn cords all over the place. I need to get the hell out of here.'

Right..(I guess he did answer my question. ' So I'll help you get in the chair then okay? would you like me to use the lift? Or would you like to use your walker?'
Obviously, he chose the lift, aka, no work for him.
So anyways, the doctor came in to see him when he was halfway in the air with the lift and their ass is just hanging out. Usually the most convenient time. That's when the doctor had like 500,000 orders for me to complete, in about 40 minutes. Awesome. That's when he found out he was going to have some , 'lung tests.' We also have these cell phones we carry around. Lots of people call you on these phones. People and doctors that I dont remember their names or ever why they are calling me. Sometimes they just say, 'are you taking care or Mr. So and so? And I say yes, and then they start talking to me about something that I dont' even know is going to happen. In this case, the doctor that had just came in to see the patient left the room, called another doctor on his phone before he wrote any orders in the computer, and then the doctor called me. Ridiculous. But I forgot, I'm a nurse nad have to do approximately 500 things at once. Oh yes, and the whole point of this paragraph, when the transporter came to get the patient we put him in a wheelchair to go down and they wanted him on a stretcher. Whatever. He can stand up and get on the bed when he gets down there.
My other patient down the hall was insane. I guess it wasn't his fault. He was a sicky mc sick. Nobody knew what was wrong with him.. some sort of sepsis from an unknown location. He would just have temps of 104-105. and his blood pressures would go to the crapper. He didnt' respond to anything, except when you touched him he cramped up into a little ball and moaned. That's all he did for 13 hours straight every day that I had him. Flex his arms and legs. Except all the days that I had him I had to bring him 5 billion places, like the mri scanner(that was super fun.... wait... No. ) Especially because you have to change out all your tubing and pumps and monitors to things that have no metal. I didn't even know where the MRI scanner was. To make it worse, the patient didnt' respond to any sort of sedation. Haldol, versed, ativan... did nothing. Nothing. he would lay still if it was completely silent and nobody was touchign him. BUt, you know, a lot of people touched him and it's not quiet in the icu... or in the MRI scanner. He also had to have a lumbar puncture and a picc line placed. No sedation worked for any of that either.
One thing that I think is interesting is that when you go into the mri scanning room with the patient, and the other nurses go back behind the wall/thick window, they ask you if you're pregnant. Because if you're not pregnant, you can't be in there. They dont' care that the mri will do something weird to your body... only the baby inside you. It seems like that for a lot of things. You can take care of this patient with a horribly contagious disease... Unless... you're pregnant. Something else I learned.... I can no longer have 50 bobbypins in my hair when I go to work, because if I have to take someone into the mri scan room you can't have any metal on you because it will fly out into the machine, or make your head vibrate. Thank god I just had a regular pony tail in. phew.

Anyways, I am definitely worn out from work. You wake up at 5:30 in the mornign and don't get home until about 8:30-9, then by the time you shower and eat and crap it's like days you are at work for 13-14 hours. dummmmbbb. Then tonight I work nights, and the next night I work nights. Even though on Fri-Sat-Sun I worked 7A-730p, and now tonight and tomorrow I work 7P-7:30Am. wang tastic. Then I have a Lab on tuesday during the day, which consists of a lab test and huge assignment/report, then on monday after break I have a o-chem test, and then on tuesday after break i have an 0chem lab final. BOooooOooo. Nurse anesthetist is looking better and better..... ppbbbbbbbbbb.

No comments: